Who We Are
Center for Improving Value in Health Care (CIVHC) is an objective, not-for-profit organization. Through services, health data, and analytics, we partner with Change Agents to drive towards the Triple Aim for all Coloradans. We believe that together we can alter the trajectory of health care and we are privileged to serve those striving toward a better health system for us all.
Our Mission and Vision
We strive to empower individuals, communities, and organizations through collaborative support services and health care information to advance the Triple Aim of better health, better care, and lower costs.
Ultimately, we are driven by the value we provide to those we serve.
- Triple Aim Driven: Our work is grounded in our mission to advance the Triple Aim for Colorado.
- Service-Focused: We engage, support and collaborate with others to collectively advance the Triple Aim for a healthier Colorado. Everything we do is for the success and health of the communities we serve.
- Trusted and Objective: We exist to inform the work of those we serve. Our work is high-quality, objective, and trustworthy.
We help communities, organizations and individuals identify opportunities to develop and advance innovative approaches to improve the health and well-being of Coloradans. By design, our activities support Change Agents in four ways:
- Serve – We engage, support and collaborate with others to collectively advance the Triple Aim for a healthier Colorado. Everything we do is for the success and health of the communities we serve.
- Engage – All voices are necessary to reshape our health care system and CIVHC is committed to meaningful collaboration with individuals, communities, and organizations.
- Educate – We help educate communities on resources, partnerships, data literacy, and innovations to accelerate the pace of change.
- Amplify – CIVHC promotes the successes and innovations of Change Agents, highlighting accomplishments and progress both locally and nationally.
In 2009, CIVHC began as a convener of diverse stakeholders committed to changing the way care is paid for and delivered. Through work groups and task forces, CIVHC cultivated relationships with likeminded partners that continue to make improvements throughout the state. Community engagement is integral to CIVHC’s philosophy and core work; we hold a broad view of what makes up a community and we feel that only through partnerships and collaboration will we successfully effect change.
CIVHC’s initial work centered around three priorities that continue today:
- Palliative Care: Improving access to palliative care and supporting reimbursement for palliative services.
- Transitions of Care: In partnership with other organizations, CIVHC created Healthy Transitions Colorado to connect and advance statewide programs and efforts, while educating providers and communities across the state.
- Payment Reform: Educate stakeholders about new models of health care payment, and support transitions to alternative payment models that promote high quality, efficient care.
In 2010, the Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing (HCPF) appointed CIVHC the Administrator of the Colorado All Payer Claims Database (CO APCD). With implementation grant funding from The Colorado Trust and the Colorado Health Foundation, CIVHC began collecting claims from payers and providing data analysis to inform opportunities and advance the Triple Aim in 2012. The CO APCD is now the state’s most comprehensive claims data set representing the majority of insured lives in Colorado and including all major commercial payers, Medicaid and Medicare. Through public and custom data requests from the CO APCD, communities, organizations and individuals have access to essential cost, quality, and utilization insights to help them improve health and health care for Coloradans.
Through CO APCD data, analytic services, and data literacy education we are helping Change Agents inform opportunities for real and lasting health care transformation.
View our Trip Down Transparency Lane for more information.