Listen. Learn. Discuss. Transform health care.
Change Agents across Colorado and the nation are doing remarkable things to change the trajectory of health care. Here is a collection of recordings, presentations, and Chats that highlight the amazing work being done as well as provide crucial information and education to move us all toward the Triple Aim.
In 2019, the Change Agent Chat series became a podcast. Click here to listen and subscribe!
Webinar Series: Data to Drive Decisions
Understanding the Importance of Continuous Health Insurance for Access to Care
(recorded September 16, 2021) Presenters Sarah Gordon, PhD, and Beth Martin discuss their research results on a variety of analyses including the impact of the ACA on continuity of coverage among those in Marketplace coverage and Medicaid, and Medicaid churn patterns before COVID-19 and during the public health emergency.
Reference Based Pricing & Data to Support Employer Alliances
(recorded August 19, 2021) Employers across Colorado are joining together to address the high cost of health care and data is helping them make informed decisions. These employer purchasing alliances, as well as individual large employers, are using data from the Colorado All Payer Claims Database (CO APCD) to shed light on ways to improve the health of their employees while lowering premiums and out of pocket costs. In this webinar, learn how this information from the CO APCD is supporting employers on their journey to advance the Triple Aim of better health, better care and lower cost.
Improving Population Health
(recorded July 15, 2021) It is impossible to manage what you cannot measure, especially when it comes to population health. In this webinar, the CIVHC team showcases two interactive tools to help Change Agents get better insight into the health care of Colorado communities on both the county and Division of Insurance levels. The Community Dashboard contains metrics ranging from cost of care, healthy non-users, and preventive screenings, while the Low Value Care Report provides a glimpse into the top services in each region that could be potentially harmful and drive unnecessary cost and utilization.
Resources to Chart COVID's Impact in Colorado
(recorded June 17, 2021) It is nearly impossible to understate the impact of COVID-19 on every facet of life in Colorado. In this webinar, CIVHC looks at three COVID-related analyses that helped inform different aspects of the pandemic as everyone worked together to predict the impact, minimize the risks, and continue to serve the health care needs of Coloradans. CIVIC overviews analyses completed on: high risk populations, impact of elective procedure cessation, and trends in telehealth utilization.
CO APCD Contents & Race and Ethnicity Data
(recorded May 20, 2021) In this webinar, viewers are provided an overview of CIVHC and its mission to improve the health care landscape. Viewers learn about Colorado's most comprehensive source of health care insurance claims information with the Colorado All Payers Claims Database (CO APCD) as well as how it can be further utilized. The speakers also address current and future race/ethnicity and socioeconomic data collection.
Webinar: Telehealth in Colorado
(recorded 9/30/2020) The COVID-19 pandemic has the potential to indefinitely change how health care is delivered, accessed and paid for. Expanded use of telehealth services is just one aspect of care that can greatly impact cost, care and outcomes long-term. Access this webinar for a walk-through of CIVHC's new Telehealth Services Analysis and to learn about trends and opportunities to improve access to care in these times.
Webinar: Explore Advance Care Planning
(recorded 4/22/2020) The COVID-19 pandemic has made advance care planning a more pressing issue for many Coloradans. While there’s much we can’t control, we can make informed decisions to give the people closest to us the power to confidently make health care decisions for us in the event that becomes necessary. All adults should make time for these conversations, but they’re especially important for those who are over 60 years old and are living with chronic health conditions such as heart, lung or kidney disease or cancer. Listen to this webinar to explore this topic further, featuring Melissa Davis, a licensed clinical social worker with The Denver Hospice and Optio Palliative Care.
Webinar: Advance Care Planning Overview (NHDD)
(recorded 4/16/2020) National Health Care Decisions Day (NHDD), held annually in April, is an initiative to encourage people to express their wishes regarding healthcare and for providers and facilities to respect those wishes, whatever they may be. It’s important to understand that NHDD is not only about end-of-life care but is meant to reach a much broader spectrum so that every individual may have their healthcare wishes met. In this webinar recorded on this year's April 16th event, Hilary Lum, MD, PhD, will provide an overview of Advance Care Planning, why it is important for everyone and how to get started, or continue, on your Advance Care Planning journey.
Webinar: Top 10 Things to Know About The MOST Form
This is a brief overview of the 10 things you should know about the MOST form (Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment). In this 30 minute webinar Hillary Lum, MD, PhD, will highlight the key things that social workers, administrators, admissions/sales team, providers and others should know when working with the MOST.
Creating County Level Profiles to Facilitate Community Assessments
Public Health in the Rockies Session, August 28, 2019
Data doesn’t have to be scary or intimidating, but in a world where we are inundated with information, it’s often difficult to know where to start. This session will teach you to use free, publicly available, cross-sector data to build profiles of your target population, allowing you to focus your efforts, dive deeper into possible correlations, design effective interventions, and track progress towards achieving your health outcomes goals.
CIVHC Connect: Caring and Preparing for Serious Illness
February 22, 2019
Serious illness will affect us all, either personally or through loved ones, at some point in our lives. Preparation and knowledge of the nuts and bolts can provide comfort in a scary situation. As Change Agents, there are also ways we can improve the system to support those going through serious illness.
CIVHC Connect: Dollars and Sense
November 13, 2018
In November 2018 CIVHC brought together Change Agents from across the nation to change the conversation.
Dollars and Sense was a day-long event featuring new data and analysis from local and national leaders in health care transparency and cost containment.
- Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement / CIVHC - Total Cost of Care
- CIVHC - Public Reporting and Consumer Shopping Tool
- Catalyst for Payment Reform - Colorado Scorecard
Webinars and Meetings
- Project Angel Heart Impact Study - Sept. 2018 - Video / Slides
- Determining Health Care Pricing Reasonableness (hosted by CBGH) - June 2018 - Recording / Slides / Handouts
- CIVHC Connect: Public Reporting - May 2018 Video / Slides / Handout
- Total Cost of Care in Colorado Spot Analysis Webinar - March 2018
- CIVHC and National Leaders Discuss Health Care Quality and Cost Drivers Meeting - October 2017
- Total Cost of Care Project Physician Practice Webinar - December 2016
Change Agent Chat Series
- University of Colorado Denver Health and Behavioral Sciences Department
- Brown University Student
- Northwest Colorado Community Health Partnership
- Coalition to Transform Advanced Care
- Peterson Center on Healthcare
- Aurora Health Access
- The Commonwealth Fund - Health System Scorecards - May 2018 (Audio Only)
- Children's Hospital Colorado - Improving Care for Medically Complex Children - May 2018 (Audio Only)
- Dispatch Health - Health Care that Zooms: In Home, On Demand Acute Care - April 2018 (Audio Only)
- University of Texas - Understanding the Impact of Hospital and Payer Negotiations - March 2018
- Quality Health Network and the Community Resource Network - February 2018
- Colorado Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association - Understanding Physical Rehabilitation Service Utilization and Cost - January 2018
- Colorado Chronic Care Collaborative - Costs for Specialty Drugs for Chronic Conditions - December 2017
- Catalyst for Payment Reform - Scorecard on Payment Reform - November 2017
- Graduate students at Duke University. - Competition in the Health Insurance Exchange - October 2017
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital - Skin Cancer Prevalence in Colorado and Across the Nation - September 2017
- Denver Regional Council of Governments - Making the Data Case for Senior Care - August 2017
- DAWN Clinic - Aurora’s Underserved and Anschutz’s Hopefuls Come Together at DAWN Clinic - July 2017
- Aurora Mental Health Center - The Chambers Hope Health and Wellness Clinic - May 2017
- Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association - Bundles for Colorado’s Hips and Knees - April 2017
- HopeWest - Hospice Care with Heart on the Western Slope - March 2017
- Southeast Health Group - Health Navigators Help Lower Costs - February 2017