The Telehealth Services Analysis provides stakeholders with information to understand telehealth services prior to the onset of COVID-19, and the impact the pandemic has had on telehealth service use since March 2020. This report is updated regularly to enable users to track trends in telehealth services over time and the impact on cost and utilization. Please contact us at email@example.com for questions.
Visit our Telehealth vs. In-Person Utilization analysis for more on overall utilization.
- Overall, use of telehealth in 2020 was still significantly higher than in 2019.
- Use of telehealth services hit a peak in April 2020, slowly declined through September and rose again slightly through January.
- Payer Variation:
- Medicaid patients used telehealth services the most in 2020, with an average of 2 visits per person.
- Mental health conditions remain the most frequent diagnosis for telehealth services and increased from approximately 35% in 2019 to a little over 50% of all visits in 2020.
- Provider Type:
- Behavioral Health Providers supplied the most telehealth services (38%) in 2020, followed by Primary Care Providers (22%), Federally Qualified Health Centers/Rural Health Clinics (5%) and Home Health (5%) providers.
- Service Types:
- Psychiatric Services and Procedures (31%) were the most common service types in 2020, followed by Established Patient Office Visits (30%).
- Geographic Variation:
- In general, utilization of telehealth services in 2020 was highest in urban counties, while many rural counties had half the number of visits than their urban counterparts.
- When selecting “All” payers, data for 2020 should be viewed with caution because:
- Medicare Fee-for-Service is only available through June 2020
- This analysis includes the majority of insured lives in Colorado, but does not include all self-insured employer covered lives, or federal health insurance programs such as the Veterans Administration, Tricare, and Indian Health Services.
- View the full methodology document for more details on telehealth and telemedicine service categories provided.