Every CIVHC publication is aimed at serving, engaging, educating, or amplifying Change Agents, thereby highlighting their good work and providing necessary information and tools to help them move forward.
Data Byte: Emergency Department Facility Payments
Released: August 2019
This Data Byte identifies how much commercial health insurance payers and patients pay for the Evaluation and Management (E&M) facility portion of an Emergency Department (ED) visit. ED visits typically include an E&M facility component that corresponds to the severity level of the visit – ranked from low to high. These payments only represent a portion of what is billed for an ED visit and do not include amounts for other services which may be performed during the visit such as lab tests, imaging services, surgical procedures, or other fees that may be billed directly by the ED physician or provider.
Quality Measures: Diabetes A1c Testing and Breast Cancer Screening
As part of the Qualified Entity Certification Program (QECP), CIVHC has developed information for Breast Cancer Screening and Diabetes A1c testing using Medicare Fee for Service (FFS), Medicaid, Commercial and Medicare Advantage claims data from the Colorado All Payer Claims Database (CO APCD). The two quality measures are based on nationally endorsed specifications, and can be used by public health agencies, providers and others to understand variation in quality and improve care for Coloradans.
Regional Price Variation For Common Procedures
Released: July 2019
In Colorado, prices for common health care services vary across regions, and frequently, the regions with the highest and lowest prices are not consistent when comparing different services. The map below illustrates regional variation for 11 common services. This information can help communities understand how their health care prices compare to other areas across the state.
Common Procedure Episode Price Breakdown
Released: June 2019
Facility price and quality information available on CIVHC’s Shop for Care tool provides total price information for high cost, high volume procedures. The total price is determined based on the full “episode” of care which includes everything that happens before, during and after a procedure. This infographic shows what percentage of the price is typically paid to the facility where the procedure takes place.
Imaging Services Price Variation
Released: April 2019
Facility prices for common imaging procedures such as CT Scans, MRIs, and X-rays vary widely across the state of Colorado. This infographic shows the statewide median for the imaging procedures displayed in CIVHC’s Shop for Care tool, along with the highest and lowest facility medians. Price differences range from hundreds to thousands of dollars depending on the imaging service.
Spot Analysis: Prescribing Opioids in CO
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggest that for acute pain, providers should offer alternative treatment options to opioids, and when necessary, prescribe the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration, typically three to seven days. This analysis from the CO APCD investigates prescription fill rates and length of suggested dosage for short-acting versions of three commonly prescribed opioids – Oxycodone, Percocet, and Vicodin.
Analyses and Graphics
- Common Procedure Price Variation
- Cancer Prevalence in Colorado
- Chronic Conditions in Colorado
- Quality Measures in Colorado
- Total Cost of Care
- Health Care Utilization in Colorado
- Drug Cost Savings Potential - Vimovo and Duexis
- Cost of Care in Colorado
- SIM Measures
- Regional Payment Variation
- Free Standing Emergency Departments
- Infographic: Hepatitis C
- Payment Variation by Payer
- Avoidable Emergency Department Use
- Average Paid Amounts for Common Health Conditions
- C-Section Reduction Cost Savings Analysis
- Respite Care Volume and Total Spend in CO
- In/Out of Network Costs
- Firearm Injury Trends and Costs
- Legislative District Medical and Pharmacy Total Spend
- Top 25 CPTs by Volume in CO
- Intraoperative Neuromonitoring
- Prescription Trends of Opioid Drug Subsys
- Coloradans with Pre-Existing Conditions
- Medicaid/Frostbite Claims
- ED Severity Levels by Payer
- High Risk Pool Costs
- EpiPen Cost Trends
- Medicaid Teen Pregnancy Rate Trends
Legislative Documents and Reports
- Colorado House Bill 10-1330
- Report to the Governor and General Assembly (1/1/2019)
- Report to the Governor and General Assembly (3/1/2018)
- Report to the Governor and General Assembly (3/1/2017)
- Report to the Governor and General Assembly (3/1/2016)
- Report to the Governor and General Assembly (3/1/2015)